Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Poem

I wrestle with words. My aim is to have something presentable for tomorrow night's poetry slam at Der Hut Des Jaegers as it's been too long since I've participated. As is my practice when I have something to finish, I find something else to do. And so I've decided to share here an untitled work I previously presented. I hope you enjoy it.

My Dear, put down the book you hold.
Put on your coat. The night is cold.
Come! Take my hand. Let's leave our home.
Across the valley dark we'll roam.

I've gathered much for our late feast
composed of grain and fruit and beast
to show how much I care for you.
Do come! Let's trip across the dew.

Tomatoes red are nestled in
the basket tight next to a tin
of herring silver as your eyes
or all the stars now in the skies.

And also here we have some bread
as golden as your own fair head
with honey sweet as your shy smile.
Now, cross the stream log--single file.

Climb down the bank, deep in the glen.
I'm thinking of the roasted hen
with herbs as earthy as your soul
and truffles, too, as black as coal.

Here by the lake our blanket's spread
when normally we'd be abed.
Yet now we'll share this magic scene,
the sapphire sky, the lake of green.

Dessert will be a berry tart
as red and warm as your own heart.
And all throughout a glass of wine
to toast each night that you are mine.

And as our feast draws to its end
I kiss my love, my mate, my friend
and promise to return here soon
to picnic here, beneath the moon

No comments:

Post a Comment