Monday, June 28, 2010

Back to the Village and Off to Caledon!

I present here the final entry of one particular journal. You may wish to read from the beginning here.

11 May
The morning was bright but overcast and I was pleased to see that despite the small man's impromptu tumbling performance we were still tied to the bank and not unwittingly drifting with the current. On recalling the night's disruption I noted that the selfsame man was nowhere to be seen. The other men, as relaxed as ever, suggested he had gone into the jungle to obtain a special treat for our breakfast. They reminded me that among the bumping and other noises there had been no splashes and so reassured me he had not fallen overboard or been taken by a cayman. One of them climbed a bit less nimbly than our missing man onto the shore and rekindled a fire in the spot we had used for last night's supper. Soon he was roasting fish for our breakfast. We supplemented the fish with hearty portions of the gruel knowing we would be back at the village well before the end of the day and needed not to hold any in reserve. Besides, we were now down in numbers by at least one and quite possibly two and there was plenty to share. It was at this point that I wondered if the men's careless attitude about their friends' disappearances might be predicated on the belief they would be receiving the absent crew's portion of their fee!

Pushing such unkind thoughts aside I suggested the men search for their small companion. They objected, knowing as well as I that I had a ship to meet. The Boxer would only be able to stop at the village briefly and was coming no further up the river that day. My fears for our second missing man were assuaged as I reasoned that we were, from this spot, less than half a day's journey from the village and that he posessed all the craft necessary to get himself there. I was able to picture him walking into the central ceremonial area as I loaded the last of my crates on the ship and teasingly accusing us of abandoning him.

Thus reassured we made certain the fire was out and took the canoe into the current for the final time. As the sun rose in the sky it became increasingly hot but not unbearably so for the breeze off the water. Turning to look at the flower, perhaps the crowning achievement of this entire expedition, I could only gaze in wonder and its vivid markings, now glowing a deep ruby on its bulging flanks. For a moment I believed I detected an unpleasant note in its previously lovely fragrance, something reminiscent of carrion, but the breeze carried it off as I turned my attention once again to my paddling.

My reckoning of where we were on the length of the river proved to be not far from the mark and we found ourselves paddling up to the beach where the villagers' other canoes were resting only a few hours after mid-day. A troop of children came running to meet us and were soon followed by the various women. All were fascinated by our unusual cargo and I had to gently restrain a few of the children who wanted to climb on top of it. The women returned to their work, casting glances backward as they went on their way and my men had fallen into conversation with others of the village about our excursion. They were just as sanguine as my men had been regarding their two missing fellows so much so that I finally accepted their assessment of the situation.

Knowing my ship was expected to arrive at any time I set the men to one last task. I instructed them to use their skills normally employed in the making of canoes to construct a more proper pot for the large flower. I described a tray-shaped vessel befitting its wide girth but shallow roots and asked if it could be constructed. They responded that such a thing would take some time, but when I reminded them that it need not be watertight and seaworthy they assured me they could assemble it in only a couple of hours. Several of the men set off into the forest where they knew a tree of suitable characteristics had fallen recently.

I turned my attention to moving my crates, collecting boxes, equipment and personal items to the beach in order that the captain and crew of the Boxer would not need to wait for me once the ship had arrived. Some sorting of specimens, topping up jars with spirits and making sure everything was properly packed for the long sea journey kept me occupied for as long as it took the men to construct the pot. When completed it resembled a boat nearly circular in shape but for angled pieces at the bow and stern. It would be perfect for its purpose and what was more, I now had an example of their boatbuilding craft in my possession.

As I stood with the villagers admiring the boat-pot we were startled by a sharp yelp. We turned in time to see one of the young boys tumble from the top of the flower, having climbed it while our attention was elsewhere. A woman, perhaps his mother or an aunt or a sister or any of his father's wives, I still haven't puzzled it all out, rushed to comfort him. He showed her his bloody hand and told us through his tears that the plant had bitten him! No doubt in reaching for the lid of the mammoth flower he had caught his hand on one of the fierce spikes surmounting it. The woman led him away to tend his wound and several of the men joined me in depositing the huge plant in its new home. We settled it in snugly with additional soil some of the women carried from the forest in baskets. Then, with many hands to lift it, carrying it to the beach was light work indeed.

With everything in readiness for my departure I turned to the task of settling my accounts. The remaining rowers who had accompanied me on the excursion and worked so well each received a good sized packet of fishhooks. The rest of these I divided up among the other men present who appeared to greatly appreciate the gifts. Happy to see that the bolts of calico I had brought for trading had remained dry and clean in their box I took them out and passed them to the three very elderly women that everyone appeared to pay special deference to. They accepted the bright cloth with toothless smiles and shuffled away, returning to the endless work the women of this region do regardless of their age. Once they were out of sight, for I knew they wouldn't approve, I took aside my three companions and presented them with the last of my spirits amounting to three full bottles. I was counting on the captain of the Boxer to have an adequate supply of libations as he was reputed to be a good host.

Everyone was well back to their daily tasks an hour later when the sails of the Boxer came around the downstream bend in the river. Soon she was anchored as closely as she could come to the shore and the able-bodied men of the village were ferrying my belongings to her side. I myself waited for the last canoe to go which also happened to be the one bearing my botanical wonder. The crew watched in amazement as it was hoisted onto the deck. As the Captain welcomed me aboard he cast several disbelieving glances back and forth between the flower and me. I assured him I would explain all in good time, but for now I required a proper cup of tea, not having had one in well over a year.

The tide was due to turn so the crew wasted no time in turning the stout ship back downstream. With the current and tide in our favor and a light breeze to help we would be on the open sea by nightfall and I would be settling in my new home in Caledon by Midsummer.

No comments:

Post a Comment